Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2014

A Carcass (Aunt Tam's Journal #6)

 Arriving at our family home when it had finally been given back to me was an interesting experience. I stood by the gate for a few minutes, failing to get this smile off my face. It was mine again. I could do whatever I wished with it, I could grow my rice and fix up the house, and maybe one day Ton would come back and our family would be back to its happy days. I doubted that he could ever get over his shame and show his face, but I still held onto the hope.
 When I entered the garden, my smile disappeared. Weeds had grown everywhere, the trees had died and been left bare without their leaves, and there were no signs of the flowers which once decorated the porch. Dust particles glimmered in the sunlight, as if laughing at me.
 The inside of the house was no better. It looked like an earthquake had broke it apart and a fire had left it ashen and dirty. A nauseating stench filled every room. Parts of the brick walls were missing. Everything was wrecked.
 I heard some clucking noises and walked towards the courtyard to find out what all this was about. I looked through the door to see chickens relaxing on the ground.Why were there chickens in my house?  Wait... where were the beautiful tiles?
 I gritted my teeth. Bich and Nan must have taken them. My blood boiled as I looked through the other rooms.
 I would fix it up. I would make our house beautiful again. I would bring honor to our family. I had our house back, now I would raise enough money to make everything as it was before.
 There's nothing that can motivate me like injustice can.

No comments:

Post a Comment