Pages

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Renaissance (Aunt Tam's Journal #8)


"Madame Tam, where shall I place the orchids?"
"Oh, put it by the altar, please."

I didn't look back to check on Dua. I knew she'd do every duty I gave her properly. It had been a very long time since I had trusted anyone so. I suppose it was a nice feeling, to have some sort of company again. 
Que was going to bring Hang, my niece, to me for the first time. We'd been preparing for their visit for a week now, and I spent half of my day at the markets, looking for the best quality meats and fruits, and the other half preparing the house. It was more decorated than usual, and looking at the busy rooms I wondered who I was trying to impress. Was it Que? No, she knew what my house looked like, didn't she? Then was it Hang? But would a child truly care about the beauty of my house? 
I think I was just trying to show Hang the greatness of our family. I knew the poverty she lived in, and I think I just wanted to show her our family was... better. I felt guilty for doing this, but I also knew how Que really wasn't on my side. Ever since Ton had died... no, ever since her brother took everything away from us, Que hadn't truly been a part of our family. But Hang... could be. She had my blood. Our blood. She was family. For the first time in years, I was going to be with my family.

I was in the kitchen, finishing up the preparations when I heard chatter. They had to be here!
I walked out, opening the main door with excitement I hadn't felt in years. My mind completely ignored Dua and Que, and I focused on the child. Fearful, beautiful, so so beautiful. It was like seeing Ton as a little boy again. Just the sight of her warmed my heart, and gave me hope. Life was better. Life was splendid, in fact, and it would just keep getting more and more wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment