Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Reflections

This blog entry got me thinking of all the little stuff I accomplished in the summer.
So now I'll list all my boring accomplishments and tie it into my homework task, because why not?

I wrote many, many poems. I keep a little notebook where I write poems from the perspectives of a character, but they all reflect a bit of me too.
I drew so many pictures.
I started a notebook where I drew reference pictures for all my characters. Though I didn't get to finish it because it takes a lot of work and I have over 50 active characters in my story.
I played Pokemon like crazy. Video games deserve a separate entry.
I bought really old original comics. They are so amazing.
I read most of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I don't know why but that book just fascinates me. I love the authors style and I love everything that's going on and I love how confusingly simple everything is. I read MOST of it, and not all, because I had to read another book before school started.

Yes, the Bridge of San Luis Rey.
Honestly, when I first started reading this book I was not interested. The story did not attract me, but I really enjoyed the author's tone and style, so I kept going. The stories of the characters started getting more and more interesting to me as there were more connections made between characters, mostly concentrating around the Perichole. It was intriguing to see how one character could affect so many others without even intending to. The book made me think about what I believed in, and whether such coincidences could be 'acts of God' or not. Our discussions in class also evoked lots of thoughts in my mind, and I found myself wondering when and why natural disasters occurred, and what sort of control this superior being had on the world (if it existed, of course). It was also useful to learn more about these phenomena because I could use this information if I ever end up writing about a hurricane or a meteorite.
Discussing the book, the plot, and the characters in class really helped me realize things I had missed out or forgotten. Since everybody is different, they all notice and remember different things when reading a book. When all these different people sit down to talk about it, they all share unique opinions and points. Listening to my classmates' beliefs gave me more thoughts to consider so I could built my own, strong opinion in the end. The role play our friends did helped with this process as well. I got to see faces of characters I hadn't yet seen, and more of their personalities and goals.


1 comment:

  1. Your blog post is great Begum! I like that you reflected on each of the class activities but also included your own personal tidbits. It made the post more engaging. Perhaps you could include your drawing of the Interview with Ghosts

    ReplyDelete