Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Goodpiefulness (how full you are of good pie)

Hello!
I have received the task of writing about numbers and ranking people and all that jazz. 
I was actually going to do this on Friday even though I didn't even know it was an assignment, but then I ended up spending the whole day in bed with a fever or tumbling around the house with my head spinning and feeling like it was splitting open and not hearing anything because my ears were blocked. 

We were supposed to rate ourselves on Brother Juniper's scale. The scale basically rates a person on their goodness, piety, and usefulness, out of 30 (so 10 for each). 
I gave myself a 5 for goodness, 3 for piety, and 5 for usefulness, making a total of 13 out of 30.

It was rather hard to give myself a score.... because the scale wasn't all that specific. How good was I out of 10? Good according to what? Piety was kind of easier because although I have no idea which religion I believe in I have an idea of what I believe in (which I might make a separate post about later, because it's not necessarily God or a god...). But usefulness? Some might say I'm a 10/10. Some might say I'm a -10. 
So I scored myself on what I believed I was, but this was only one opinion out of all the people who know me. Not that accurate. 
I gave myself a 5 for goodness because I am good to those who I think deserve it, and to those I love. And I'm not bad or menacing to those I don't like, but I'm not always the nicest person, so I thought a 5 was a valid score. 
I'm not religious, I identify myself as agnostic because I've never really given enough thought to religion so I don't want to say I'm an atheist. Because I don't know if I am. So I chose a 3, because I do believe in some sort of hidden presence. 
I was most confused about usefulness because I really don't know what I'm supposed to base this on.

In class when the vagueness of this scale was mentioned, I was interested. 
I think it's okay to rate people on a number scale as long as this scale and the reason behind each number is well explained to avoid any confusion. And I don't think these ratings can always be taken as fact. They should be considered, but not shared with everyone as information. 
I remember making little ID cards for my characters back in 3rd or 4th grade, and I used to rate them on their strength, magic, and etc. This helped classify them and use them in situations where they would be most fitting. I guess people want to rate others so they can know when they'd be suitable. Because everybody just wants to control what goes on around them, so it's natural that they'd pick people for task that benefit them.

Just some ideas... 

Update on comic:
I finished most of the pencils of one page!!! I just have background details left :) 
Yay!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment