Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Nyctophobia


What makes us afraid of the dark?
Why
do I tell myself not to look back 
as I walk around at midnight?
Why is the smallest light comforting,
and the chatter of the TV reassuring?
What is it reassuring me of?
Speak to me
oh mechanical creature 
sing to me 
in your many different tones 
the baritone of an anchorman 
the soprano of a show host 
why do you soothe me?
And why do the lamps seem like 
miniature stars? And I a planet? 
What am I running from? 
What tells my heart to fear? 
Why am I terrified of you, darkness?

Because you are either everything
or you are nothing. 
And both are equally horrifying. 


------
Well. While I was writing this, the lights went out. 
And I was listening to a song called 'Daughters of Darkness'.
It was absolutely terrifying. As if the electricity in the building read the poem and decided to play a prank on me. Thanks a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment