Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

A Flashback (Aunt Tam's Journal #3)

It was raining.
Normally, I would have liked the rain. I liked its soft rhythmic tapping. I liked that it spared us the work of watering the flowers. I liked how it puffed our hair up and curled it even more than usual.
Today I hated it. I despised it almost as much as I hate Chinh, and Bich, and Nan, and everybody else who has put me and my family to shame.
I lay in the hut I was hidden in, watching the rain drops beat the floor, crawling in from all the holes in the roof. Each thud made me angrier. I felt like I was going insane. But I would survive. I was stubborn, and it was my greatest trait.
When the rain stops I might go outside to watch the fog and the gray skies. Something about those gives me pleasure. I might go to watch people praying in the next door temple, and hope that Chinh catches a cold from standing under the rain.
After a while sleep took me, and the rain became a lullaby.
Life will get better too. I will fight for it. No matter what I have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment