Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Rising From the Grave (Aunt Tam's Journal #5)

The sun was setting on my paddy. The already beautiful sight of the fully grown rice was amplified by the red and violet encircling the warm ball of light. It was time to get cleaned up and sleep, until dawn, when I would get back up again with the sun.
As I walked to my hut I saw someone coming my way. It was Phuong, the girl who ran my noodle business for me. She handed me the days earning, and I gave her her pay. Counting my money, I walked into my hut. I organized it in my belt and got cleaned up before bed.
Deciding to take one last look at my paddy to sleep peacefully, I stepped outside. Just at that moment, the daughter of one of the woman whose's rice paddy I work at came running.
"What is it, Cam?" I asked.
"Madame Tam, Madame Tam!" she yelled. I let her catch her breath for a minute. She spoke again:
"These people came to the village! They said they were from this... Team for the Rectification of Errors. They said they're giving back our properties! Yours too, Madame Tam! They're giving back your house and all your fields! Finally, justice has come!"
It took me a moment to compose myself.
Yes! Finally! This torture was coming to an end. I could raise my family name and our honor from the grave. No, it was never buried. Our honor was just a torch, waiting to light a bigger fire. And now it was time.
I could sleep an hour late. Cam and I headed into town to claim our property. 

No comments:

Post a Comment