Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"House come to order!"

Hi!
I was writing an entry about our trip to Istanbul but since Ezgi summarized our first day on her blog, and I don't want to explain every day, so I'll just talk about certain occasions.
My first time at our committee was quiet and exciting for me. I was in the Environment Committee (EC), made of about 75 delegates. We were supposed to be in a hall named the Bubble but since our opening dinner was going to be there, we were packed in a small hall. I was representing Germany. Next to me was a girl (Georgia) and a guy from Palestine (Ghana). Our chairs were named Paulina, Joy, and Gürcan. Paulina's eyes closed when she smiled and Joy reminded me of a stereotypical German girl but with ginger hair. Gürcan had a red nose. That's my first thoughts about them.
We did icebreakers, which are basically little games to break the ice between the delegates. We did one where we all wrote a question and put it in a box where everyone one by one picked one and answered it. I asked "If you were famous, what would you be famous for?" I think it's a more interesting question than "How many siblings do you have?"
The girl who answered it said "Swimming." See? If there are any swimmers in the house they might go chat with her about it and new friendships made!
I picked the question "Who let the dogs out?"
Our second icebreaker was a cliche: 2 truths 1 lie. The chair picked a delegate to tell the truths and lie and another delegate to guess which one was the lie.
My sentences were:
I love drawing.
I'm a tumblr addict.
I love pasta so much I spent 4 days in Italy eating it.

I'm sure everyone here knows which one is a lie, but the guy who was guessing said "The first one!"
This of course shocked me, and that day they all learnt something they would discover throughout the conference: the delegate of Germany likes drawing.

That's pretty much it about the first day. I mean, Ezgi's said it all.

Day 2? It was lobbying day. We wrote our resolutions. I think my situation was pretty hilarious. I picked a topic about nuclear energy, because Germany is against nuclear power. When the groups were gathering, there was already this huge circle of about 20 people supporting nuclear energy, and I was left out of it. So when I was frowning and just standing there awkwardly, a guy I'd seen before in MUNESCO said "Oh you're against nuclear energy too?"
So we formed our own group. We tried to make our resolution not against nuclear power, but limiting it.
I honestly thought it was a bad resolution from the start, but oh well. I met cool people like Dilara, Aymir, Nergis, etc. (Nicaragua, Ireland, and Bolivia respectively)
While Nicaragua and Ireland were running around looking for signatures, I was doodling a dragon in my notebook. A girl approached me and asked if I liked anime (Japanese cartoons). I said "Yes."—which is partially a lie—and we had a conversation about animes we liked. She said she liked drawing too, and she drew something for me in my notebook. Then she gave me her deviantART username, and we kind of became friends. She's such an awesome artist. I mean, AWESOME.

Anyway, we went to the hotel after that. Ezgi asked to use my computer to blog—and I would never let her even touch my computer if I didn't love her and trust her so much. I took a surprisingly quick shower and Ezgi didn't get much time to blog. I don't remember what else we did that night.

Third day was short. We started debating and the day ended around noon. So we changed into comfy clothes and...went to Büyükada! On the ship, we ate food, took photos, saw awkward stuff floating on the sea. I especially pointed out the jellyfish.
With Cem we fed the seagulls. It was such an amazing experience for me. I'm fascinated by birds, and seeing them fly by your hands and playing "Catch the Food" with them is just so much fun. Cem held out pieces of the simit or açma we had and one of the seagulls came so close to us we backed away. One of them actually hovered in the air until it got its piece. Then everybody else joined us and it was just...fun...

We all bought flower tiaras at Büyükada (every one a different colour. mine was blue of course). Ezgi and Bade disappeared in the first few minutes, so we hopped on a horse carriage, made a deal with the driver, and took a short tour. Cem and Boray joined us soon on their rented bikes. We saw ravens, cats, horses, donkeys and cows. I was very tempted to jump off the carriage and ride one of the horses. I miss riding horses. I miss horses.
After we got off the carriage I went and petted the horses for a while before following my friends.
After finding Ezgi and Bade and buying ice cream, we went back.
We took the metro to Taksim and walked around for hours. It was interesting and amusing.

Fourth day? Debating, debating.
I didn't make any speeches but I kept asking questions which resulted in the speaker repeating his speech. Awkward.
I think it was today when we had the boat trip. The first half an hour was horrible for me. Everyone was jumping around, stepping on my feet or crashing to me. I was upstairs for the rest of the trip with my shoes off.
When we got back to the hotel we learned that Cem and Boray had ordered McDonald's for all of us. We sat on the top floor and ate our food. Nom nom nom.

Fifth day...We finished up debating. Our resolution failed (I knew it would, but I still had my hopes up). Eh, the rest was kind of boring. We had the closing ceremony. It was very emotional. The students giving speeches were crying and talking about the end of their MUN journey...Unfortunately we had to leave before it ended. Then long bus trip again.
This time they had movies on the bus, so I watched Spy Kids: Game Over. I loved the movie when I was small, but now I realize how bad the effects are and how awkward the movie is. Oh well.
Bade and I had a little adventure there too. The bus stopped for 30 minutes for a break. We went to the bathroom, and when we came back there were 2 busses parked there, and both of the same company. We kept going inside both busses trying to decide which one was ours. One of the busses was filled with people who seemed rather religious and on the other bus a woman covered in black was praying and it was a little scary since the bus was completely dark too. After a while we realized the bus with the praying woman was ours.

I got home around 2:30 and directly fell asleep. I woke up around 12:00 on Sunday. Then I visited JMUNESCO and it was pretty fun.

Meh meh meh I'm sleepy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment