Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Short, but I think I said what I wanted to.

In the chaos of grief and remorse that filled his mind it was the one articulate word. (14) Death brings awareness of God.

The quote, “In the chaos of grief and remorse that filled his mind it was the one articulate word.” is describing the Savage. Soon after Linda’s death, the only thing the Savage can say is “God”. Unlike the society, the Savage is aware of religion, and he himself is religious. The only person he had a deep connection with was Linda, and when he lost her, he turned to the only being who remained for him: God.
Our classmate though of the thematic statement “Death brings awareness of God.”, by interpreting the quote and its context. I completely agree with this statement, but I believe there are more things to be said.
The Savage called out for God, because he had lost everything but himself, and his belief. He depended on God, nothing more.
I think ‘death’ is too specific. It is not only death which might bring us this close to God
I myself am more agnostic than Muslim, but I have some knowledge about this topic.
I’ve heard that you’re closest to God when you’re ill, or in a very bad situation. Especially when you’ve got no one else to depend on, no one but this supreme being you can’t see, hear, feel, but can believe in.
Death of course is a terrible and painful thing, but I believe it’s not death itself that brings you awareness of God, it’s the events leading up to it and its aftermath. Hopelessness, agony, sorrow, followed by loneliness, aimlessness, it is the feeling of being lost that makes ‘God’ the one articulate word.

No comments:

Post a Comment