Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Story Chapter I Part I

Hohoho I feel weird. I'm confused (though somethings have become clearer) and distracted.
I read 2-3 chapters of Brave New World, and I like it, but the book also frustrates me because of what they do to the babies and how they are created to be a certain kind of person.

Um, I was supposed to talk about the dodecahedron, but I think I'll do that tomorrow.
I've been doing math homework all day. Why do we have to solve our 3 tests again? Grrr...

I found really cool stuff. I found a box of my LPS toys, which are basically tiny animals with big bobbly heads. We used to be obsessed with them with my friend Eda, and she had a bigger collection than mine, but I have over 30 of these guys. My favorites are naturally the first ones I had (three hamsters, a cat, and a rabbit), but my favorite designs were of some monkeys, a giraffe (which was rare and hard to get), a seahorse, birds, cats, this flying squirrel/cat and a seal wearing a polar bear hat.
And I found my Pokemon cards. I never had many, but I think I have good ones.
It's nice to see my old toys and remember what I did with them.

For some reason I switched from coloured pencils to markers. I think it's because I looked at the online gallery of the artist of the new Supergirl comic (he's Turkish!!) and he uses markers. I'm working on this project that I think will turn out awesome. I'm 45% done with it.

OH and my friend Ezgi is amazing, and she not only gave me a great idea, she read and edited my writing. Before I put it here though, a little summary of everything:
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr away from the Earth, there exists a planet (I didn't name it yet, I need help with that) and this is a story about the adventures of its inhabitants. The very main character Kael, accompanied by his sarcastic childhood friend Oran, classmate Isadora (who I think is a rather interesting character), the agile Claudia, and the lonely Axel (Müfit's character), find themselves forced to form a team and complete a task that none of them like. No, this is not your ordinary "find the lost important item and destroy it" kind of story.
I hope someone enjoys this (by the way, the _______'s might be distracting, I'm sorry):

“Once upon a time, there was a planet named _______. It was a colourful place, with skies of lilac, grasses of blue, seas of violet, fluffy white clouds, and strange little men and women—” said Adrian.
“We already know this! Tell us a different story!” his little brother, Oran, complained.
“But I’m going to tell you more this time! Things you didn’t know, adventures! Don’t you like adventures?”
“I like adventures!” Oran’s friend, Kael replied. The two kids lay in separate beds as Adrian sat between them. The aurora shone through the window and illuminated his face.
“Let me continue then. So there were the strange little men and women, and they were all different colours, like we are. One was orange skinned like me and daddy, another was blue like Kael, another green like Oran, some where pink like mommy, some yellow, and so on. Their eyes represented which family they came from. Have you noticed how Oran, mom, dad and I have the same eye colour, and you have a different one, Kael? And these strange people of ________ also had a wonderful ability. They could transform to an animal native to _____. Usually people from the same family or race had the same animal, like Oran and I. And your animal is the same with your dad, Kael! These people lived in peace for a looooooong time! They believed in a goddess named _____, and she was a fun goddess, so she made them all colourful! In this planet, one large continent was surrounded by the wide, deep, ocean. The lower part of this continent was named the Capital. It was where most of the people went. The other parts became smaller cities. Years passed, and an evil man wanted to control this planet. He gathered followers, and took over the smaller cities! He was very mean! In the edge of the Capital, there were two mountains. In a valley between them, a small village. A very brave man lived in this village. He didn’t like what the evil man was doing, so he started to fight against him. There was a huge war, it went on for years, but in the end the good guys won. They sent the evil ruler far far away, and they built a giant castle in the valley. The man became a king. Do you know where he is now?”
“No! Where is he?” Kael asked.
“I know all of this! I’m going to sleep.” grumbled Oran and turned away.
“Good night,” Adrian said to his little brother and continued, “The King lives in the castle! He’s far away from us, but he’s still there! He’s older. And he has a very organized army so nothing goes wrong!”
“Wow! I wish I could meet him someday!” Kael mumbled and yawned.
“I’m sure you will, but sleep now.” Adrian tucked him in. “Sleep well.”
“Good night...thank you for the story.”
“Anytime, Kael.”

When the two boys were asleep, Adrian walked to his mothers room. Their house was rather small. It was put together with whatever they could find: thick bark, white metal, branches. All the houses in this Northern city were like this. It was perhaps the most ignored city in _____. The people were poor, but happy. Only the children had big desires, and those faded away as they grew.
Adrian smiled as he remembered Kael and Oran telling him their hopes and dreams.
“I want to find out what’s there!” Kael had said, pointing up at the dark sky with glowing freckles.
“I...want to know everything there is to know.” was Oran’s response to the question.
If they can keep those dreams until they’re of age, they’ll need to get to Central to make them come true, he thought.
Their mother was a bony woman, with gentle pink skin and a sad smile. It had been almost a year since their fathers death, but their situation had just become worse.
“Hello, Adrian.” she said as her older son entered her room.
“Mother,” Adrian greeted her shortly. He had something to say, and she wasn’t going to like it.
“Are they sleeping?” she asked.
“Yes,” Adrian replied, “um, mother, I want to talk to you.”
“Are we not talking now, sweetie?” his mother laughed lightly.
Adrian paused. His face expressionless, his heart heavy.
“Well, spit it out!”
“I’m going to join the air force.”
Now his mother stopped. She watched his face carefully as she took in his words. There was determination on his face, he looked unusually serious.
“I’m sure you have a good reason for it and you’ve thought it through.”
“Yes.”
She sighed, “Then alright, Adrian. I respect your choices. But...promise me you’ll...you’ll take care of yourself a-and come home safe...” her voice cracked and her forehead crinkled. She gulped.
Adrian looked away. Tears gathered around his eyes, but he blinked them away. He couldn’t look weak. Not at this moment. His mother was frustrating him. He expected her to object, to argue, but she had just accepted it.
“I p-promise.” he said shortly before his voice broke.
“Sleep, Adrian. We’ll talk more in the morning.”
Adrian nodded, and walked off.

* * * * *

I wrote more, but I didn't post it yet. This is all you get, ha-ha.
No actually I want to complete the first chapter and then see what I do.

I have this notebook that is a bit like an encyclopedia for this story, but I stopped writing in it. I might finish it up sometime, it's always nice to have a visual of everything. The Capital is in the South. Adrian, Oran and Kael are currently living in a Northern city. I need to find my plot map and then make something like a treasure map using my own map of the planet (which I have).

I would put up my drawings of them, but I don't think I have made proper character art yet.

I would appreciate comments. From everybody. Hint hint.

1 comment:

  1. For ideas about the names of places, please see Norton Juster's THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH. You don't necessarily need an exotic sounding name to communicate a significant idea. If you prefer something exotic, survey THE DICTIONARY of IMAGINARY PLACES (I don't recall the authors' names.).
    Be inventive with what you find there; splice parts of names to create the sound(s) and/or meaning(s) you want to present to your audience.

    ReplyDelete