Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Year of the Dragon

As some people might know, today is the beginning of the Chinese New Year.
2012 is a Year of the Dragon, and it happens every 12 years, like the rest of the animal years.
The animals making up this Chinese calender are (in order) Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig. I myself was born on the Year of the Ox—so were most of my classmates.
Dragons are more than large lizards with wings which breathe fire. Many civilizations believed in dragons. They were wise, cunning, mighty, powerful creatures. They were guards, rulers of seas. A story from the 13th century says when a snake reached the age of 100, God threw it into the sea, and it grew fins, becoming a dragon. In tales (mythological or not) if one killed a dragon, s/he was considered mighty.
I think this belief began when Turks roamed Middle Asia, and still continues (but in a lower degree, if that makes any sense).
What of the zodiac? In front of me I have an issue of National Geographic Kids from February 2005 (I only kept it because of the Chinese Zodiac pages...). In this issue, it says that people with this zodiac would do anything to help their friends, and that their friends came to them for advice. They are also very outgoing and extroverted.
Another source says Dragon's are free, and everything they do is 'on a grand scale'. It gives traits, like: innovative, self-assured, brave, passionate, conceited, quick-tempered, and scrutinizing. Apparently they get along with Rats and Monkeys, and are enemies with Dogs.
What to expect of this year? I expect significant, big things, something to suit the might of the Dragon. Events to change all of humanity, events to bring us knowledge, to enlighten us.
Then there’s the probability of this significant event turning out to be the apocalypse, but always hope for the best!
I wish you a happy Year of the Dragon. :)

For more, visit this website.
I think I might draw something to go with it.
Mr. Dale, if you think it's okay, comment, so I'll post it on the class blog.

Edit: my sketch of a Chinese Dragon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment